Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-XS Overview
Packing a built-in selfie stick and offering automated functions such as tracking via the companion app, the Zhiyun-Tech SMOOTH-XS, in white, is designed to provide a simple yet multifaceted filmmaking experience with your smartphone. If you’re shooting a vlog video or tutorial, the ZY Cami iOS/Android app allows you to use a hand gesture to begin recording or snap a photo. You can set the gimbal down on the included mini tripod and work hands-free. The app’s SmartFollow 2.0 tracking feature can be set to follow you and continually keep you in the frame as you move about. If you’re not happy with the way you or your subject appear in the final image, a one-touch beautification tool instantly touches up certain imperfections to improve the look, and the beautification settings can be customized manually for different scenarios.
The SMOOTH-XS is a 2-axis gimbal stabilizer lets you attach and balance your phone in just seconds. It supports phones up to 3.5″ wide, including the iPhone XS Max, and it runs for up to 5.5 hours on a built-in battery. Not only is the gimbal ultracompact, but it’s also collapsible for even more portability. The upper section slides down to make storage and travel easier. When ready to shoot, just slide that section up and begin, or telescope out the integrated selfie stick for even more capability. The selfie stick extends up to 10.2″, allowing you to capture shots from more angles as well as shoot selfie and vlog videos. Also, with a simple button press, you can switch from landscape to portrait mode to start live streaming to social media platforms such as Instagram.
Other app features include panorama, slow-motion, time-lapse, hyperlapse, and motion-lapse. There’s also an easy editing SMART mode that lets you select from a variety of built-in templates that will automatically apply certain camera movements, transitions, color grading, music, and special effects, depending on the template.
A USB cable, safety hand strap, and storage bag are also included in addition to the mini tripod as part of the kit. The internal battery of the gimbal can be charged from a standard USB charger or a USB power bank using the supplied USB cable.
- 2-axis motorized stabilization (pan/roll)
- Built-in 10.2″ selfie stick
- Collapsible, ultracompact design
- ZY Cami iOS/Android companion app
- Hand gesture recording for vlogs and tutorials
- SmartFollow 2.0 automatic subject tracking
- One-touch beautification function
- Supports phones up to 3.5″ wide, including the iPhone XS Max (requires iOS 10.0 or higher or Android 7.0 or higher)
- Up to 5.5-hour built-in battery
- One-button switching between landscape and portrait modes
- Panorama, slow-motion, time-lapse, hyperlapse, and motion-lapse
- Easy editing SMART mode with built-in templates containing camera movements, transitions, color grading, music, and special effects